Friday, July 09, 2004

Singlish

When I started writing blog, I also joined blogbugs mailing list. Lots of blogbuggers complained that why should I write in English. I don't have any intention to show off or what, but my main reason is to improve my English, especially in writing.
I feel my English ability is worsened, especially in speaking. I still remember when I was just a few months in Singapore, my cousin (she's from Hongkong) said,"How come you speak so Singlish?",then I realised true enough her English accent is still the same as the first time she landed in Singapore,and doesn't really have Singlish tone too much(she'd spent a few years before me).
Before hand, when I phoned somebody, either for my banking purposes or some other purposes (besides phoning my frineds of course), I was still be able to use my heavily Oz English accent, which could benefit me in certain cases, like better service (coz they tought I'm Ang Moh (read: Bule)).
But now as I speak Singlish fluently, nothing can drag me back to my old English ability. As I found even sometimes it's hard for me to describe something in English, my brain is getting damage, and on the other hand my ability in Indonesia formal language also getting worse...
Now here I am, speak Singlish, sometime even broken English, and speak Indonesian Slank language...weleh....

No comments: