Monday, August 07, 2006

Getai Hunting

I never go to Jakarta *singlish* Yoo..I cancelled my ticket 3 hours before my departure time, realising that I wouldn't be able to finish my work on time *sigh* Of course I had to pay penalty *sigh* But what to do, there any other things that is more important than paying penalty...
Anyway...now is Hungry Ghost Festival, which according to Chinese beliefs, every 7th month of they Chinese Calendar, all the souls would be release from heaven or hell, that's why it's called Hungry Ghost Festival. Where here in Singapore you can find joss stick everywhere at the road side, accompanied by cake or fruits, and people start to burn the paper. So they also have celebration, if they were cash rich, then they will have getai, which is singer accompanied by full band.
After reading yesterday newspaper, I became quite curious about getai, so there I was yesterday, searching the getai performance schedule in the internet, then found out there were 2 performance near my place, one in Redhill and the other one was in Queensway Shopping Center.
Couldn't decide to see which one, so I drove around those 2 places, to check it out first. Seems that the one in Redhill was quite happening, so I went there, and joined the crowds..of course not really inside the crowds, but just choose the less crowd place...
Of fourse they spoke in Hokkian, and their Hokkian is very deep, it's hard for me to catch up what they were talking about...surrounded by uncles and aunties, luckily last nite one not the very scary one *sigh*
Let me tell you, it's more fun than watching Singapore Idol, all the getai singer have a very good quality of voice...with all the light settings, suddenly it threw me back to the 80's where in Jakarta still have quite a number of people holding a wedding banquet with Chinese full 8 course dinner in the night club, where the singer, wore very glittering clothes, high cuts, dance lively, with those type of disco lights....*sigh*

No comments: