Saturday, September 22, 2007

Chameleon

When I first moved into Singapore from Sydney, I looked dirty, like never been washed for weeks ;P, very tanned, and speak with an Australian Accent. Like to wear bermuda and t-shirt, carried back pack wehere ever I go, wear sport shoes or just normal slipper.

So every time I took taxi, after i told my destination, the uncle started to sneered at me thru his mirror, and asked,"You're Filipino ah?" (with the tone of,"You're filipino maid ah?")

That time I was still very polite, I said no, then kept quiet....then the uncle would still be kay poh (=busy body) asked me again,"So where you from?"

I still politely said,"I just moved from Sydney".

Uncle,"Oh what you work there ah?" (still with that tone so you work as a domestic helper in Sydneyah?)

I said," Nope, I just finished my master degree"

Then after that the conversation tone changed...when he later knew that actually I'm Indonesian who studied overseas, then started to ask, whether my parents owned any properties here, around Orchard *sigh*

After around my 3rd or 4th year in Singapore, once I board the taxi, they would asked," Xiao Jie Yao Qi Na Li?" (=Where are you going miss?). well a bit of improvement, and he would blabbered in Chinese, which I repllied politely, "Sorry I'm Indonesian Chinese and my Chinese is not good" But still the uncle speak Chinese with me saying,"Never mind, You'll be improving very soon if you stays here..."

Now....everybody would asked,"Sorry to ask you ar miss, are you Indonesian? (with a very sweet voice). Well, I always reply proudly,"Yes I am Indonesian".

So it made me think....Do I change so much within 7 years meh? *garoek2 kepala"

It's okay lah...at least now in most od Singaporean eyes, my face looks like rich Indonesian, as I could see from the way they speak to me.....how I wish I am as rich as their think.....

Morale of story: It's proven that uncle taxi are very busy body

No comments: