Monday, April 19, 2004

Go Back Kampung

Last week, during Easter holiday and this previous week end I was in Jakarta for doing research.
During my stay there I went through major shopping mall there, Taman Anggrek, Plaza Senayan, Plaza Indonesia, and even Plaza Ex (The extension of Plaza Indonesia).
I saw a lot of brands that are available in Singapore also already available in Indonesia, you name it, they have it, eg. Mango, Phuture London, Starbucks, Baker's Inn, Coffee Beans, Thai Express, Gloria Jeans, Bread Talk, Giordano, U2, G2000, Papa Beard, DQ (now they alived again and the concept is almost the same like Singapore's one), Ajisen, Louis Vitton, Hermes, etc....
Then I'm so amazed until now, then I'm thinking how the local Indonesian Brands can survive with this type of heavy competition from International brand, especially people more into the international brand of course.
From the price wise, they are more expensive compare with Singapore, especially for the fashion type, which for food stuff may be just slightly expensive or a bit cheaper.
I was very shocked everytime I came back to Jakarta, remembering all the inflation that happened after the riots in 1998, as I leaved Jakarta in 1997.
I felt why everything suddenly become so expensive, then I wonder also If I happened to live in Indonesia and worked in Indonesia, could I afford all these things without any financial helped from my parents at all?
From my observation, I see more people entering and buying the international designer shops, which made me more confused...
It looks like the rich become richer, and the poor become poorer, then I don't know where the middle class belongs to?

No comments: